Nothing more annoying than a withered salad after just two days in the fridge. Well, ok, of course there are more annoying things! But how about some tips to keep your lettuce fresh?
When it is too wet or forgotten at the bottom of the vegetable drawer, lettuce tends to dry out a little too fast for our taste. Not to mention the pale, even blackened leaves at the end. Here are some tips to know how to save a salad so that it stays fresh and delicious longer.
How to save the salad?
Of course it works with preserving vegetables of all kinds: the more you buy over time, the better. But when it’s hard to book several times a week, there are tricks to extending one’s life fresh salad.
Room temperature or cooler?
If you plan to eat the nice salad you just bought the same day or, at the latest, the next day, no need to put it in the fridge. it is best to keep it in a basket or salad bowl at room temperature. If you can, choose a cooler room in home.
In any case, do not forget to remove it from its packaging.
If you do not prepare it on the same day, keep this in minda green salad is not kept for more than three short days in the vegetable drawer. Something to keep in mind when preparing menus.
Before placing in the refrigerator, rinse with clean water and squeeze.
In which container?
For this, there are three schools:
- those who keep washed lettuce leaves in a clean dish towels ;
- supporters of bowlprovided you take care to place a cloth or paper towel at the bottom;
- of tEAm glass jar tightly closed.
Rated version by social networks!
You may have seen this trick to keep your salad for a few weeks. It would suffice to place the leaves in a airtight container filled with water. We have not tried it yet, but why not! It remains to be seen if the nutritional qualities of the salad are still present after a long stay in the refrigerator …
A crunchy salad every time
Oops, you forgot the salad at the bottom of the basket! Dried leaves are not a beautiful sight. But surely there is a way to give them a boost.
Get a wet lettuce
If the leaves are slightly flattened, soak them for 2 to 3 minutes in lukewarm water then transfer them to a container of very cold water with ice cubes for 10 minutes. Thus you will create a Thermal shock which should revive less healthy salads.
Cook the salad so you don’t miss it (and enjoy!)
There, it is clear, it is irreversible! However, waste is not discussed… Lettuce is a very simple green vegetable that can be integrate into dishes at the end of cooking.
Feel free to do a great job of it:
- For example by mixing it with other vegetables, peas, potatoes or pasta in a gratin well melted.
- You can also make one soup frying an onion in butter. Add the lettuce leaves and a clove of garlic. Pour in the vegetable juice and cook for a few minutes before stirring.
- Finally, do as the Neapolitans love it Cooked salad ! For the recipe, simply sauté the olives, pine nuts, raisins and capers in olive oil. Add the lettuce leaves and cover. Allow to decrease slowly. And here you go!
Banner illustration: Crispy and fresh salad – © Ekaterina Kondratova
ConsoGlobe also recommends …