This delicious specialty, rich in calories, was born in two stages. In 1857, a pastry chef named Quillet, based on rue de Buci in Paris, developed a cake made from butter cream that could be flavored with pistachios. But it was another pastry chef, Guignard, who had the idea to flavor this butter cream with coffee.
The name of this cake comes from the name of the coffee at that time: mocha (in relation to the port of Al Moccha from where the boats exporting coffee from the 16th century left). Many pastry recipes will include coffee: tiramisu, coffee mousse, but also in delicious cuisine, beef with coffee for example.
Mocha cake recipe
For the sponge
- 4 eggs
- 120 g sugar
- 120 g flour
For the cream
- 4 egg yolks
- 150 g sugar
- 5 cl of water
- 200 g of soft butter
- 3 drops of coffee extract
- Mix the sugar and eggs
- Heat in a bain-marie, stirring, at 65 °
- Beat vigorously until cool (preparation should double in volume
- Mix the flour
- Put it in a round pan coated with butter and bake for 30 minutes at 180 ° C
- decompose and cut into 3 pieces lengthwise
- Prepare a sugar syrup with sugar and water (Reach 121 ° c)
- Beat the yolks in a food processor and pour in the syrup and then the coffee
- Add the butter in small pieces while continuing to mix.
- Collect the cake by alternating layers of cream and sponge cake ending with the cream